1. Faith – I went to the Heart-to-Heart Apostolate at Domino Farms on Wednesday and heard a great talk on the Holy Spirit from Sr. Ann Shields. She started by telling us how a man in the airport asked her who God is and she said:
“God is your father in heaven who loves you so much. He proved His love by giving His Son for you that you might inherit eternal life. He gave us His Holy Spirit to lead us safely home to the Father, by the merits of the Son.”
She said many more wonderful things and I plan to share them in the near future. But just hang on to that thought for now.
2. Family – Chris is the long-term substitute music teacher for pre-K through 8th grade at a Catholic school here in town. Tuesday was the big spring music concert. It was his first time conducting a music concert and he did a great job getting the kids ready in the past two weeks he’s had to prepare the students. Plus, who can resist a man in a tux leading little ones singing “Michigan is my State” and “Ann Arbor Girls”?
3. Fun – We were fortunate to skip most of the Michigan winter, but the warm weather has still been very slow to show up. This weekend was finally warm enough to get our first bike ride in for the season. We biked along the Huron River and I got the beginnings of my cycling shorts tan lines. I’m not going to include a picture of that though because nobody wants to see my pasty white legs.
4. Food – The wife of one of my labmates had a new baby girl a couple weeks ago. So we brought them one of our favorite dinners, chicken enchiladas (recipe to come!), and enjoyed spending time with their beautiful family. We got some trampoline time in with their older daughter and I got to hold the little one.
5. Books – I love reading and listening to books while I ride the bus to work. I recently finished reading Dave Ramsey’s “Total Money Makeover“, Scott Hahn’s “Signs of Life”, and Jennifer Fulwiler’s “Something Other than God”. And I just began listening to George Orwell’s “1984”. I plan to share my thoughts on the books that I’ve read. Stay tuned.
6. Crafts – The craft project I’ve been working on for the past months is a baby blanket for my cousin Megan. Here’s what I’ve made so far.
I’m planning to knit five different patterns and knit them together to make the blanket. If there are any knitters out there, I’m happy to share the patterns.
7. Thrifting – Through his job, Chris found out that there was a huge barn sale fifteen minutes from town. Yes, it was not just a garage sale, but a barn sale. The story is that a woman inherited money and is both a crafter and a hoarder. Since she couldn’t decide what she wanted she would just buy ALL THE CRAFT THINGS. Knowing that I have a couple knitting projects I’d like to do and that Grandma likes to knit blankets for people in homes and hospitals I got the motherload of yarn. It’s in a huge garbage bag hiding in the corner of our living room because there is nowhere else to put it in our tiny apartment. If you’re near Saline, MI, you can call Vicki at 734-646-1960 to arrange a time to come during the week. I’m sure there are still tons of goodies to be had.